Significant Dates for Bethany Station

This timeline is a work in progress and will be updated and expanded as time and information becomes available. 

Updated May 02, 2019. Created by Dave Snyder, March 2014. Suggestions, corrections and and amplifications to this document are appreciated and can be submitted here.

1886 Aug. 18            Powel Crosley Jr. is born.

1893                        Crosley family moves to College Hill area of Cincinnati.

1906                         Powel Crosley Jr. enters University of Cincinnati as an engineering student.

1917 Dec. 13             Powel Crosley Jr. incorporates American Automotive Specialties Company.

1921 Feb. 22              Powel Crosley Jr. and Powel Crosley 111 purchases radio parts and books

at Precision Equipment Company.

1921                           Last part of 1921 Powel Crosley Jr. starts the Crosley Manufacturing

Company. First product built was the Harko Radio Receiver.

1922 April                   First 20-Watt transmitter at home in College Hill, 8CR.

1922 March 22             First 50-Watt transmitter at Blue Rock Road, WLW, at manufacturing plant.

1922 May                   Manufacturing plant moves to Colerain and Alfred Streets. Granted license

 for 500 Watts using homemade transmitter.

1923 Jan. 15              Crosley purchases Precision Equipment Company.

1923 April                   WLW starts using Western Electric 500 Watt transmitter.

1923                           General Electric builds W2XAD and W2XAF in Schenectady, New York.

1924 January            Crosley purchases new manufacturing building at Colerain and

                                     Sassafras street.

1924 Summer            New plant opens and WLW moves there.

1925 January            Crosley granted license for 5,000 Watts experimental.

1925 Jan. 27              First broadcast with 5,000 Watts from Harrison, Ohio.

1925 December         Crosley purchases Amrad (acquires Neutrodyne circuit)

1926                           Crosley manufacturing 5,000 radio receivers per day.

1927 Feb 23             The bill creating the Federal Radio Commission was signed into law by President

Calvin Coolidge. The FRC regulated all broadcasting in the United States.

1928 Aug. 8             Crosley purchases WSAI. Crosley granted license for 50,000 Watts.

Begins construction of a new building adjacent to WSAI transmitter building

in Mason, Ohio.

1928 Oct. 29             50,000 Watt transmitter dedicated at Mason, OH

1929                           New 8-story manufacturing building at Colerain and Arlington Streets.

WLW and WSAI get new top floor studios, dedicated March 23, 1930.

(1329 Arlington St.)

1932 May                  Crosley applies for license for 500,000 Watts power.

1932 June                 Federal Radio Commission (FRC) grants license for 500,000 Watts power.

1933 June                 New Blaw-Knox vertical antenna placed in use at WLW.

1933 Aug. 8             Josef Goebbels introduces the Volksempfanger model 301.

1934 May 2               WLW commences 500,000 Watts power

1934 June 19            The Federal Communications Commission replaces the

Federal Radio Commission to regulate radio communications.

1935                         Germany begins barrage of radio transmissions in Spanish to Latin America

attempting to get several countries to go to war with the United States.

A new model Volksempfanger introduced.

1937                           CBS installs new 10,000 Watt RCA transmitter W2XE in Wayne, New Jersey.

                                    It became WCBX in 1939.

1938 June                 W8XAL power increases to 50,000 Watts shortwave from Mason, Ohio.

1938                           Goebbels concentrates all radio operations to Zeessen. Has 1000 employees

                                    there; announcers, musicians, writers, engineers, etc., along with longwave,

                                    mediumwave and shortwave transmitters.

1938                           50% of German household have a Volksempfanger receiver. That means that by

1938 various companies had manufactured 8 million receivers.

1939 Feb. 18            W6XBE starts broadcasting from Treasure Island with 20,000 Watts for

the San Francisco World’s Fair.

1939 Feb. 28            WLW license for 500,000 Watts rescinded and station returns to 50,000 Watts except for the experimental period between 2 to 4 am.

1939 July                   The Federal Communications Commission converts the licenses of the shortwave stations from experimental to commercial and given regular call letters. W8XAL becomes WLWO. W6XBE becomes KGEI. These stations were now permitted to sell commercials to support their operation.

1940 April                  WLWO increases power to 75,000 Watts and becomes the country’s most powerful shortwave transmitter.

1940                           Crosley establishes a chain of local radio stations in Latin America in 10 countries to rebroadcast WLWO programs.

1940                           CBS moves its Wayne, New Jersey transmitter to Brentwood, Long Island.

1940 Spring              Roosevelt establishes a new agency, Coordinator of Inter-American Affairs (CIAA), headed by Nelson Rockefeller, to strengthen ties among western hemisphere nations.

1940 July                   Roosevelt establishes a new agency, Coordinator of Information (COI), headed by William Donovan. FDR’s speech writer, Robert Sherwood, named to head the Foreign Information Service (FIS), a sub-agency of the COI.

1941                           San Francisco World’s Fair closes and General Electric moves broadcasting to

                                    New 50,000 Watt transmitter in Belmont, CA.

1941 Early                 COI begins to use KGEI and WLWO for “suggested topics” and news and information. A special teletype from Washington, D.C. brought copy to be read with no editing. FDR leans on his friends at Pepsi Cola, Planters Peanuts and Firestone Tire and Rubber to buy commercials to support KGEI and WLWO.

1941 Fall                    Robert Bauer, Giorgio Padovano and Edward Beck broadcast war news to Europe from WLWO and are photographed together as the “Three Musketeers.” Photo is discovered in a closet at VOA with other VOA-Bethany memorabilia.

1941 Dec. 7              Pearl Harbor attacked. The COI reorganizes and becomes the Office of Strategic Services (OSS). The FIS becomes the Office of War Information (OWI). Elmer Davis heads OWI. Ten stations exist: NBC has WNBI and WRCA in Bound Brook, NJ; CBS owns WCBX and WCRC in Brentwood, NY; General Electric operates WGEA and WGEI in Schenectady and KFEI in San Francisco; Westinghouse operates WBOS in Boston; Crosley has WLWO in Cincinnati. And Worldwide Broadcasting Foundation owns WRUL in Boston.

1941 Dec. 15            KGEI is leased by the COI, making it the first international station under direct government control.

1942 Feb. 1               OWI begins broadcasting radio programs, leasing time on shortwave stations that are picked up by the BBC and relayed to Germany.

1942 Feb. 22            Members of WLWO staff and broadcasters take the night train to New York for Voice of America broadcasts.

1942 Feb. 23            OWI inaugurates new radio studios on Park Avenue in New York City. John Houseman named as head to radio programming in NY. The “Three Musketeers” from WLWO broadcast in New York for first day on February 23.

1942 May 5               Test transmissions begin on KWID with 100,000 Watts, the country’s new most powerful shortwave transmitter. Soon the station broadcasts in 10 languages, 20 hours per day with programming from the OWI San Francisco studios.

1942 Mid                    KGEI’s one studio quickly overflows with linguists for Japanese, Chinese, Tagalog and various Chinese and Filipino dialects, so OWI studios temporarily move to new facility being built for KSFO. The OWI converts the old NBC studios as its headquarters and moves in on January 1, 1944.

1942 Fall                   Meeting in Washington with networks and manufacturing companies to create new superpower transmitters for the OWI

1942 Nov. 1              OWI leases all shortwave transmitters except WRUL. The OWI ultimately seizes WRUL by executive order.

The stations are: CBS - WCBX, WCDA and WCRC, Brentwood L.I., NY; Crosley’s station WLWO, Cincinnati; General Electric’s WGEO and WGEA, Schenectady, NY, and KGEI San Francisco; NBC - WRCA and WNBI, Boundbrook, NJ; Westinghouse’s WBOS, Boston; World Wide Broadcasting’s three transmitters WRUL, Boston; and Associated Broadcaster’s KWID.

1942 December        Crosley breaks ground for superpower shortwave station.

1943                           Crosley installs WLWK in Mason, OH. KGEI receives new 100,000 Watt General Electric transmitter and goes on the air with KGEX. KWID receives new 50,000 Watt transmitter goes on the air as KWIX. A Press Wireless transmitter is installed in Palo Alto and becomes KROJ. CBS adds two new transmitters, WOOC and WOOW to its Brentwood L.I. shortwave plant.

1943 October           BBC transmitter plant at Wooferton begins operation with a planned 37,

50 kW shortwave transmitters.

1943 December       Crosley has first transmitter WLWL on air before building is completed.

1944                          Germany has 15 million Volksempfangers.

1944 Sept. 23          Crosley holds the official dedication ceremony for the OWI transmitter plant in Union Township, Butler County, Ohio. It was named the Bethany station.

1944 November      CBS station in Delano, Calif. goes on the air with KCBA, KCBF and KCBR.

1944 December      NBC station in Dixon, Calif. goes on the air with KNBA, KNBC, KNBI and KNBX. KRHO goes on the air from Honolulu, HI

1945                          Additional transmitters added at McKay Wireless and become KROU and KROZ. The RCA point-to-point facility in Bolinas, Calif. added KRCA and KRCQ. By the end of 1945, 17 west coast transmitters air OWI programming from the San Francisco studios.

1942-1961                Crosley, NBC and CBS operate transmitter plants under contract to the OWI and VOA.                            

1962 January           The USIA/VOA takes direct ownership of the three transmitter plants.

1965                          Bethany, Delano and Dixon plants modernize. Three 250,000 Watt Collins 821A1 transmitters and two Continental 617A transmitters installed at each plant.

1979                          Dixon station closed

1983                          Dixon station reopened.

1988                          Dixon station closed

1989 November       Three original WWII Crosley SWT-1 transmitters shut down and asbestos removed from building.

1991                        Bethany commissions three new 250,000 Watt Asea Brown Boveri SK 53 C3 transmitters.

1994 Nov. 14            Bethany station closed.

2007                        Delano station closed